Thursday, July 9, 2009

Yes, you are your brother's keeper!

June 21, 2009

Today's Reading: 1 Chronicles 9-10 and Galatians 6

Yeah, we all know what Cain said after Abel was killed. “Am I my brother’s keeper”. In other words, he was telling God: “hey, I don’t know. He’s his own man, I’m not the boss of him.”

Of course, God already knew the answer, and if there is one thing the Bible says about Christians is that we are our brother’s keeper. The Bible says that if a Christian is caught sinning, then whoever is spiritual should restore him, gently.

This is very different to some Christian behavior that I have seen before. I think we all know the stories of the Jim Bakkers and Jerry Falwells, who committed adultery and were sometimes ostracized by other Christians.

I’ve seen it happen time and time again. A Christian is caught with sinful behavior, and then all these defense mechanisms get in the way. Soon, there is damage control, and the Christian sinner comes forth, usually giving a prepared statement. From there, all the renewed sinner’s friends take sides. Some go to the side of judgment, saying: “you should have known better, you now have no place amongst us.” Then the other side goes to the side of mercy and says: “Come back to us, brother”.

To be honest, I’m not certain what is the best attitude to handle situations like these, other than preventing them from starting. Of course, there is no such thing as an ideal situation, is there?

In fact, there may come a time when I screw up, big time. In fact, the whole reason that I became a Christian is because I was screwed up, big time. True, I have been redeemed, but if I ever want to be unredeemed, a life of sin is always there. Who will be there for me then? Will all my Christian friends just tell me to get out, or will they accept me back?

I remember when DC Talk wrote a song called “What if I Stumble”. I remember treating this song with harsh tones, saying: “well, don’t”.

The truth is that we do carry each other. It’s hard to believe that when I have problems, my Christian brothers are often the last people that I go to. I don’t go to secular people, because I’m supposed to be a Christian to them.

Why is it that we have to be seen as invincible to other Christians? Can we shed that stupid guise of us having everything all together. Can we wear a sign that says “imperfect”. If we look silly, then I am willing to take that chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment