Sunday, July 5, 2009

Peace in our Lifetime

June 14, 2009

Today's Reading: 2 Kings 20-21 and Galatians 1

You have to admire Hezekiah for the way he lived. He must have been one of those guys that probably prayed a lot and believed in it even more. So when he is about to die, he receives some very good news: he will live, for about fifteen more years.

He even gets a sign. The sun goes back ten steps. I would imagine that God moved the sun in an erratic manner like in the days of Joshua.

So not only does the guy get a rare extension on his life, but he actually knows when he is going to die. I don’t know anyone who has that kind of condition going on. Now, you think that would give Hezekiah a new lease on life, and he would go and do all sorts of good things to fill up those next decade and a half.

Instead, he sort of screws it up. I mean, he doesn’t really completely screw it up by worshipping Baal or anything, but he does invite people from Babylon to see the Royal Treasury. I would imagine this would be like the president of the United States inviting the leader of some country that harbors terrorists into places that most Americans can’t get to.

Isaiah is there to warn him that he screwed up. He then warns him that soon Babylon is going to bring a word of hurt on the country. However, he tells him that he will not experience this now, but in a future after he is gone.

Hezekiah’s reaction is not one of shock, but rather relief. He says: “The word of the Lord you have spoken is good, will there not be peace and security in my lifetime”.

I can’t help but think that this is one of the most selfish things that I have ever heard. However, this really is how much of us live. Most of us will save up for our own retirement, and perhaps our children’s college funds.

Unlike Hezekiah, we don’t know when our huge crisis will come. I’m not certain if we will ever see a global economic crisis, or some sort of worldwide disaster in our lives. However, if I ever found out that the worst will be far past me, I couldn’t help but breathe a sigh of relief.

However, the bad stuff will come. Shouldn’t I see fit to prepare all of my friends and family to get through whatever tough times come ahead? Can’t we think beyond our own generation?

No comments:

Post a Comment