Wednesday, July 8, 2009

God the Warrior

June 18, 2009

Today's Reading: 1 Chronicles 3-4 and Psalms 35-36

Even though it isn’t my favorite of the three films, I like the ending of Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. Much of the second film is a lot of boring scenes until the last part, the awesome battle of Helm’s Deep.

I love in the end when the army is completely surrounded, and there is absolutely no hope. Then Aragorn remembers that Gandalf will be coming on “the sunrise of the fifth day”, and so he and the king ride out to meet the army.

Then Gandalf appears on the hillside, with an army at his side, and goes up against the armies of darkness. Good guys win, and the conclusion is nothing short of epic. Gandalf appears like we see the Second Coming, in a long beard, staff, and flowing white robe.

Many of us have had problems where we would want God to come as some giant warrior and fight for us. Note the words in Psalm 35: “Contend, O LORD, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me. Take up shield and buckler;
arise and come to my aid. Brandish spear and javelin against those who pursue me. Say to my soul, I am your salvation."

Of course, we all know that God isn’t some attack dog that we can sic on whatever problems that we see fit. I’m sure that if we had our choice, God would be attacking everything that we would face.

Can you imagine that when we get a parking ticket? Lord, take out that meter maid! It’s pretty easy to pray to God when there is some serious army of darkness heading your way, but I have never been in a position where that has happened.

However, I’ve been in a position where I’ve had a parking ticket. Yeah, I don’t have the epic Lord of the Rings lifestyle that I read about, but I do have a life. A life that involves a lot of paychecks, groceries, and bills. Man, what I wouldn’t give to have God just attack all of that.

However, I am assuming that my life, seemingly mundane, is there for a reason. So if God doesn’t want to do the whole warrior thing, that’s fine by me. Then again, how do I know that God isn’t fighting for me, at all times. Yes, for all I know, God fights for me like Aragorn, and I’m the one who is being protected all through it.

No comments:

Post a Comment