Wednesday, July 8, 2009

In God We Trust

June 17, 2009

Today's Reading: 1 Chronicles 1-2 and Psalms 33-34

Okay, you know from that title what I’m probably going to do next. I’m probably going to talk about how all of our money says this, but most Americans don’t truly trust in the Lord for money or anything else for that matter.

Generally, illustrations like these are used in those sermons where preachers go on and on about how America has so fallen away from its Christian values that the forefathers “clearly intended” in the Constitution. I’ve always wondered if all of these speeches come from an era where Beaver Cleaver lived, a fictional era of America’s history in the forties and fifties where everyone was prosperous because we all went to church.

Perhaps those who took Psalm 33:12 seriously: “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people he chose for his inheritance”. It is nice that our money does say that, but the dollar bill also has that strange eye and pyramid thing that doesn’t mean anything to me. If you would like to bring up that whole Illuminati thing up, save it for some other time. Those secret governments are so secret, that they don’t even know about it.

Still, God is very faithful in delivering us, isn’t he. This is especially true of David when he was escaping form Abimelech. As I recall, David escaped by pretending he was insane.

I always wondered how he pulled that off. Did he do a Jack Nicholson Joker or a Heath Ledger Joker. You know, one was hamming it up crazy and the other actually won an Oscar for acting crazy.

I guess it took a lot of drooling, or some sort of weird crazy talk. I will have to admit that I’m not really proud of David for escaping Abimelech that way. It wasn’t that the man who “had slain his ten thousands” fought his way out.

Still, you have to admire how God takes care of those who trust in Him, and something tells me that David had to trust in the Lord in order to get through Abimelech’s land. So playing insane was part of God’s plan, more or less.
This is almost in stark contrast to Psalm 34:11-13 which says: “Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD. Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies.” Hard to believe that the one who wants us to do right would approve of a plan of acting insane.

Well, like the country music song says: “A little bit of crazy’s all right”.

No comments:

Post a Comment